My personal experience

Why the US? Well, I first started with an exchange program that existed between my med school in Paris and UTSW, Dallas. I spent 6 months there as a medical student. As opposed to most observerships you can do in the US during the summer time, I was considered as a full med student so I could take care of my own patients and also take the SHELF (end of rotation exam) like a regular American student. I wasn't especially planning to go back but I really liked working there (and met my boyfriend haha) so now I'm back!

I took Step 1 and Step 2 the summer following med school graduation. I applied the following September, I had some interviews in December, matched in March and started in June. During that time, I did a first semester of anesthesiology residency in France - I didn't want to spend a year doing nothing, and that was guarantying me a residency spot in France if things didn't turn out as planned. The anesthesiology part is because I'm interested in ICU and this is the most common combination in France, Anesthesia/ICU. It was fun, got to do plenty of procedures, and not too tiring before starting intern year.

Now I'm an Internal Medicine intern at UTSW, in Dallas, same school where I first did my exchange program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step 1

Mon expérience

Bienvenue!