Manuel, matched in ophthalmology from Mexico

Here's our first participant, thanks for sharing Manuel!

Tell us about yourself: where are you from? What specialty are you applying to? 
My Name is Manuel Paez, I'm from Mexico, I applied to Ophthalmology via SF Match and Preliminary surgery/preliminary medicine via ERAS

Why did you decide to come to the US?
I have family members in the U.S, and as a result I have visited it since I was 4 years old... I love the U.S culture of hard work, competitiveness, and the quality of life people can have.

At what point in your career are you situated (just graduated, resident, already an attending)?
I completed an ophthalmology residency in Mexico, and did a dual clinical/research fellowship in Ocular Oncology in Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami, FL. Right now I'm a practicing Ophthalmologist in Mexico. 

How did you prepare for the Steps? How much time did you need?
For Step 1: I read the Kaplan lecture notes and did both the Kaplan QBank and Uworld Qbank.
For Step 2 CK: I used MTB Step 2 CK and MTB Step 3, completed Uworld twice
For Step 2 CS: I used first aid and practiced cases several times, used the patient note software available in the USMLE Step 2 CS website. 
For Step 3: Used MTB Step 3, Archer review course and UWorld Qbank and CCS cases.
Overall it took me around 15 months from the moment I took step 1 to the moment i received my step 3 score

Did you Match? Where? If not (first thank you for sharing your experience!!), why do you think that is? What did you do next?
I did Match into a Preliminary position (will find out this Friday!), It may be where you are!! (UTSW!), for Ophthalmology, I matched at the University of Pittsburgh

Did you encounter any particular problem during this process? How did you solve it?
Encountered many hardships, first.. Being an IMG applying to a highly competitive field by itself is pretty hardcore... I was told several times by several people that it was a lost cause and I wouldnt be able to make it... The fear of not matching is real...Secondly, economical, living in the US, unpaid, while pursuing research can be economically draining...Each hardship can be solved by having confidence in oneself, never forgetting what your goals are and sometimes, by having a "leap of faith" . I have God to thank and my family, without them this couldnt have been possible. Another good thing is that I met the woman of my dreams (and my future wife! We are engaged) while pursuing my dream. 

Do you have any other advise for doctors willing to train in America?
This may sound cliché but...Never ever allow anyone, nor even yourself from telling you cant achieve your dreams... If life taught me something, is that the worst enemy one can have is doubt, doubt of your own capacities and abilities. A famous Rocky quote states: "Nobody punches harder than life, its not about how hard you can hit, but about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward"<-- This is what winning and achieving your dreams means.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step 1

Mon expérience

Bienvenue!